Thursday, October 25, 2012

Of Iceland and Oregon

Photograph by: Wild Wonders of Europe (no photographer name given)

   I like all of the greens, yellows and teals in this photograph. I believe a long shutter speed was used to help create the silky waterfall or "Angel Hair" effect, the mystery photographer didn't share their camera settings. The rock formations which originally drew me to this picture are of some composition of basalt, which is a form of volcanic rock. The basalt has to cool very slowly in order to form these polygonal columns. I think the green/yellow moss is a nice distraction from all the dark,   teal  and bright white water.

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/litlanesfoss-waterfall-iceland/


I thought some warm reds and oranges would be a nice change from the cool greens and blues in the picture above. This picture was taken in the fall and depicts the brilliant leaves of a Japanese Maple. I love the natural contours of the tree's branches and how the tree's own leaves were used to create a natural frame, surrounding the dark, mossy wood with soft, out-of-focus color. I think it was very clever of the sunlight to make the leaves appear orange on the other side of the canopy, so your eyes are initially caught by the red frame in the 'front' of the picture and drawn through toward the brighter colors in the canopy. Also- I. Want. One. Of. These. Trees. 





No comments:

Post a Comment